Five Stories of Transformation from Our Fifth Annual Report
This week, we released our 2017-2018 Annual Report. The report marks eight years since Education Elements was founded, and our fifth such report. In the report, we highlight the incredible work of our district partners and share how our work is evolving to continue to build and support dynamic school systems that meet the needs of every learner, today and tomorrow.
When we released our third report back in 2016, I shared three takeaways from the report in my blog post. Now that this is our fifth report, I suppose I should restart the tradition and share five things!
The title of this year’s report is “Focus on School, District, and Regional Transformation.” With that in mind, I’ve chosen to focus on five things I think are transformative in this year’s report:
- Transformative Culture - We know that bringing sustainable change to any organization takes more than a clear vision and stellar professional development, it requires a culture of innovation. We believe there are five ingredients that make up the recipe for a culture of innovation. The report shares how one district is making use of all five as they scale personalized learning.
- Transformative Insight - This year we launched Onpoint, our personalized learning benchmark. Onpoint takes years of helping districts implement personalized learning and turns it into a simple report that helps districts know if they’re on track. Download the report to learn how Onpoint supported three districts at different stages of their work to implement personalized learning.
- Transformative Growth - The Enlarged City School District of Middletown, NY is one of our longest standing district partners and it’s been incredible to chart their sustained growth over time. This year, 57% of Middletown students in grades K-8 tested proficient in ELA, up from 40% in 2012-13 and 62% tested proficient in math, up from 44% in 2012-13. The report outlines how Middletown has kept it up, year after year.
- Transformative Teams - This year, our CEO Anthony Kim released his book The New School Rules which shares 6 “rules” for responsive teams. The principles in that book guide our work as an organization and with our districts and the report shares how we are supporting district teams to work better together.
- Transformative Trust - This is my favorite, so I’ve saved it for last. One of the best parts of my job is hearing from district leaders how much their partnership with Education Elements means to their district, so I was thrilled when 100% of district leaders said that Education Elements is a trusted partner on our annual survey. The report shares our partners’ stories, and see why they place their trust in us.
Reflecting on these five themes from the report inspires me, and fills me with a sense of gratitude that I get to work alongside such amazing district partners. But please, don’t take my word for it. Download the report, and hopefully you will find a few things to motivate your own work to transform education. I’m excited to see what you all do in 2018-2019, and beyond.